Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter 2012 Adult Reading Program - Destination: Anywhere



The Kansas City Public Library launched the "Destination: Anywhere" 2012 Adult Winter Reading Program on Monday, January 9, 2012. I plan to participate, although I may not read many (or any) of the suggested books. For the first time since I started following their adult reading programs, I saw non-fiction titles listed in their suggestions. I often need extra motivation to read non-fiction books, as I much prefer to escape to a place that you can't find on any real map. I am most at home on other worlds, in other dimension or in completely imaginary places.

Of the fiction titles suggested, I now have motivation to read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (something I probably should have read decades ago). I am also intrigued by The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover, which also has a book discussion scheduled for Saturday, February 18th 2:00 p.m. at the Trails West Branch.

Of the non-fiction titles suggested, I might try Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. Then I could try either Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer or The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (the latter has a book discussion scheduled for Saturday, January 28th 11:00 a.m. at the Central Library which I could easily attend).

Whether or not I attend any of the events or read any of the books, I look forward to adding to my collection of adult reading program coffee mugs. If you don't live in the Kansas City metropolitan area, an alternative way to participate would be through the library's GoodReads group.

No comments:

Post a Comment