Sunday, January 8, 2012

Notes on New Sermon Series at WFC: Know Jesus

I popped into WFC's Online Campus this morning after seeing a Tweet from Pastor Jason Morris and just happened to logon just five minutes before worship began.  I had some initial problems with the video feed (a simple browser refresh fixed that) and wasn't overly impressed or inspired by this morning's worship song set (but I'm partial to Speedway's worship band and not the main campus' one). 

Pastor Dan introduced the new sermon series "Know About Jesus" by stating that he plans to focus on the Gospel of John exclusively for the entire year (and joked that his sermon today would cover only the first verse of John).  I listened attentively to his sermon, took notes as directed (see below) and pondered questions I've pondered before. 

I have a big personal concern with our (and by "our" I mean Christians) focus on Heaven as the reward for our good behavior (dare I say our 'good works'?)  Often, I feel like it's a golden carrot dangled in front of me and I'm waiting for the whip to fall.  Does Jesus (and God) really want me so selfishly focused on my own salvation?  Shouldn't I be willing to risk Hell (as Jesus himself did) if it means saving just one other person, no matter how unworthy or sinful or ungrateful?  I struggle with this internally and often.  Do you?  Or am I just over-analyzing (again)?  I guess it's time for more prayer on that. 

In the meantime, enjoy the notes I took this morning while Dan Southerland preached about knowing Jesus and knowing God (and they're one and the same):


JESUS IS GOD
Knowing Jesus - 1
January 8, 2011
Pastor Dan Southerland

Studying through the book of John, asking:

•    who is Jesus?
•    what does Jesus say?
•    what does Jesus do?

Pet peeve:  Jesus is not past tense ... he is alive ... present tense.  What he said then, he would say now.

Big idea for this series:  Knowing about Jesus is not the same as knowing Jesus.

1.  Jesus is God.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  John 1:1

No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God ... John 1:18a
  • Jesus is not just a good man
  • Jesus is not just a great teacher
  • Jesus is not just a prophet
The Bible declares repeatedly and clearly that Jesus is God.

John 14:6, John 20:31, Acts 10:36, Acts 20:21, Romans 6:11, Romans 6:23, Romans 8:39, Romans 15:17, Romans 16:27, 1 Corinthians 1:3,1 Corinthians 8:6, 2 Corinthians 13:14, Galatians 3:26, Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 2:11, Philippians 4:7, Colossians 1:1, Colossians 3:17, 1 Thessalonians 3:11, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, 1 Timothy 1:1, 2 Timothy 4:1, James 1:1, 2 Peter 1:1, 1 John 4:15
How does anyone read this book and claim Jesus isn't God?

Handiwork ... Greek word for poem ... we are a real piece of work ... God's.

Everything is built on the foundation that Jesus is God.

2.  If you know Jesus, you know God.

God with skin on (according to Dan's daughter).
No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.     
Jesus came so that we can know God.

If you know the Son, you know the Father.

3.  If you don't know Jesus, you can only know about God.

You can learn about God in any religion.  There is good in all religion.  All religions will lead you closer to good (Pastor Dan believes that).  It can't take you all the way there.
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.  John 17:3

I can see it now - at the Final Judgment thousands strutting up to me and saying, 'Master, we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.' And do you know what I am going to say? 'You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important. You don't impress me one bit. You're out of here ...  Depart from me.  I never knew you.'  Matthew 7:22-24 (Mes, NIV)
There are many people who know a lot about God but do not really know God at all.

Do you know Jesus?  He is God!  And He is worth knowing!

Invitational (altar call) prayer

Jesus, I don't want to just know about you.  I don't want to just have information in my head.  I want to know you.  So right now, Jesus, I am putting my life in your hands.  Thank you for loving me.  I am going to go after you.  I want to follow you.  I want to know you and love you back.  Thanks for beginning this new journey with  me today Jesus.  I look forward to knowing you more and more.  In Christ we prayer, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment