Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by Jemison

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #1)The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I flew through this book, faster than I thought I would. Perhaps it was the font size and white spacing; perhaps it was the compelling story. Told in the first person by a backwoods 'barbaric' young woman called to the very center of the world, unbelievably as the heir, who just happens to be her grandfather. Completely out of her element, but not without heart, courage and brains, Yeine proves equal to the challenges of brutal court politics.

I can't say I enjoyed this story, but I can appreciate the ingenuity of the writing. I did not need the reminder that humans, weak, broken, fallen humans, can stoop to such depths of depravity and but one young woman opens her eyes and sees the truth and has the courage to do what should have been done centuries ago.

I may change my rating from three to four stars, because as a debut novel it excelled. I will continue to ponder it's impact on my reading soul and update this review after a few days.

View all my reviews

The Beyond Reality group at GoodReads is currently reading this novel to discuss next month.



Beyond Reality's to-read book montage

Beyond Reality 507 members

Welcome to the Beyond Reality SF&F discussion group on GoodReads. In Beyond Reality, each of our me...

Books we plan to read

The Hundred Thousand KingdomsThe Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
by N.K. Jemisin
Start date: February 1, 2011


The Player of GamesThe Player of Games
by Iain M. Banks
Start date: February 1, 2011
View this group on Goodreads »

Share book reviews and ratings with Beyond Reality, and even join a book club on Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment