Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reading Goal Reality Check for Q4 2010

In 2009, I read ninety-six novels, just four shy of my goal of reading one hundred books that year.  Now that I'm firmly in the final quarter of 2010, with nearly half of October history already, I find myself at nearly the same place and pace.

I track all my reading via GoodReads, which introduced a handy stats feature this year.   Since I've read sixty-two novels in the first three quarters of 2010, I project another twenty before the end of the year, which is disappointing.  And I'm not likely to get more time to read, since the last quarter is filled with family events and holidays, none of which leave me leisure time to read.  Perhaps I'll at least be able to finish a couple of audio books on the long road back and forth to Texas (twice) in the coming weeks.

Looking back at the quality of reads this year, I only awarded three five-star ratings/reviews but over thirty four-star ratings/reviews.  A couple of the best reads included:

A Civil Campaign by Bujold

Carol Berg's Lighthouse duology - Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone

Kay's Sarantine Mosaic duology - Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors

Miller's classic award winning Canticle for Leibowitz

And as if I didn't already have enough unfinished epic fantasy series to read, I started a new one by Brandon Sanderson with his recently released Way of Kings (aka the tome).

For my own peace of mind and to further advance me to my one hundred book goal for 2010, I'm swearing off books over 800 or 900 pages for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment